The Alamo Mission in San Antonio, commonly called the Alamo and originally known as Misión San Antonio de Valero, is part of the San Antonio Missions World Heritage Site as well as a monument to Texas history.
"The mission of the buffalo soldiers national museum (bsnm) is to educate the public and to preserve, promote and perpetuate the history, tradition and outstanding contributions of America’s buffalo soldiers from the revolutionary war to the present."
The Panna Maria Heritage Center Foundation was established to recognize and celebrate the first Polish settlement in the United States at Panna Maria, Texas in 1854. ("Panna Maria" means "Virgin Mary.")
The five missions (Mission San Antonio de Valero, Mission San José, Mission Concepción, Mission San Juan and Mission Espada) represent the largest concentration of Spanish colonial missions in North America and have been named a World Heritage Site.
The museum has exhibits related to the Battle of San Jacinto and Texas history. "The Albert and Ethel Herzstein Library is a part of the San Jacinto Museum of History, housed in the San Jacinto Monument at the site of the 1836 battle of San Jacinto. The library is open to researchers by appointment on Fridays and some Saturdays, 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. "
Focuses on the life, death, and legacy of President John F. Kennedy. The Museum’s collection includes artifacts, photographs and films related to the crime scene investigation and evidence found by investigators within the first 24 hours of the Kennedy assassination.
"This National Historic Landmark represents the last visual vestiges of the Presidio San Antonio de Béjar. Traditionally known as the Spanish Governor's Palace, it was the original Comandancia (residence and working office) for the Captains of the military garrison from 1722 until the early 1800s."
"The Star of the Republic Museum was created by the Texas Legislature and is administered by Blinn College as a cultural and educational institution. Its purpose is to collect and preserve the material culture of the Texas Republic (1836-1846) and to interpret the history, cultures, diversity, and values of early Texans. "
The Texas Heritage Trails Program (THTP) is the Texas Historical Commission's (THC) award-winning heritage tourism initiative. "The Texas Heritage Trails Program encourages communities, heritage regions, and the state to partner and promote Texas' historic and cultural resources, increase visitation to cultural and historic sites, and preserve the state's historic resources." Print copies of the regional travel guide and thematic travel guides can be order or PDFs can be downloaded.
"The Star of the Republic Museum, Independence Hall and Barrington Living History Farm, offer the visitor a unique insight into the lives and times of the men who fought and won Texas' independence from Mexico."
The Dolph Briscoe Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin history is a research center holding archival, artifact, and library collections containing historical treasures documenting key themes in Texas and U.S. history.
This gateway to resources on Texas history appears on every list of Texas History links. It includes a database of important Texans, online books, transcripts of historical documents, and book reviews.
"Between 1910 and 1920 ethnic Mexicans living on the Texas-Mexico border were targets of state-sanctioned violence. Although historians estimate that several thousand Mexican nationals and American citizens were killed, this period of violence has received little public attention.
Refusing to Forget, an educational non-profit, hopes that in bringing public awareness to this often forgotten period, we can also raise the profile of a struggle for justice and civil rights that continues to influence social relationships today." "The violence had wider social resonances. It was key to the imposition of a Jim Crow style of segregation on those of Mexican descent, limiting their voting and relegating most to segregated neighborhoods and schools. On the other hand, it also catalyzed a Mexican-American Civil Rights movement."
The South Texas Archives are "a division of the James C. Jernigan Library of Texas A&M University-Kingsville. The archive was established to preserve and make available to the public university and documentary materials regarding the cultural, geographical, political, and natural history of South Texas."
"On November 17, 2013, the Texas Historical Commission celebrated 60 years of historic preservation.... [beginning] in 1953 as the Texas State Historical Survey Committee, formed by the legislature to oversee state historical programs. Three years later, in 1956, county historical survey committees were created in Texas to carry out preservation work at the local level." The Commission publishes "The Medallion, the official magazine containing news and advice about preservation projects, Texas’ historic sites, and heritage tourism." The website provides access to the online Texas Historic Sites Atlas that "features nearly 300,000 site records, including markers, historic places, courthouses, cemeteries, museums, and sawmills across the state."
The Atlas includes almost 300,000 historic site records, including information on Texas Historical Markers, courthouses, museums, and sawmills. You can search by Historic Designation, Keyword, County, Address, or Site Name.
"Examines the spread of American slavery into the borderlands between the United States and Mexico in the decades between 1820 and 1850. The Texas Slavery Project database contains population counts for each Texas county with surviving tax returns from the Republic of Texas era, from 1837 to 1845."
The West Texas Historical Association was organized in 1924 in Abilene at Simmons College (as Hardin-Simmons University was then called) and later moving to to Lubbock and Texas Tech University. Membership includes both professional and non-professional historians.
"When engineers reconstructed the Congress Avenue Bridge in 1980 they had no idea that new crevices beneath the bridge would make an ideal bat roost. As the city came to appreciate its bats, the population under the Congress Avenue Bridge grew to be the largest urban bat colony in North America, with up to 1.5 million bats spiraling into the summer skies."
"The mission of the Asian American Resource Center (AARC) is to provide cultural spaces, resources, services, and educational programs through an Asian American Pacific Islander perspective that bring Austin's diverse communities together." AARC is part of Austin Parks and Recreation.
"Located in historic Central Fire Station No. 1, the Austin Fire Museum features 19th to 21st Century uniforms, photographs, and memorabilia from the firefighters of Austin. Operated by the Austin Fire Museum Hook & Ladder Society and part of Austin Parks and Recreation."
"As the local history division of the Austin Public Library, the Austin History Center provides the public with information about the history, current events, and activities of Austin and Travis County. "
"The museum was named for Bob Bullock, the state's 38th Lieutenant Governor, Bob Bullock, who championed the preservation and exhibition of Texas history and worked to establish the museum. Since opening in 2001, more than 7.5 million visitors from around the state and all over the world have visited."
"At the turn of the 19th century, European portrait sculptress Elisabet Ney’s studio became a gathering place for influential Texans drawn to 'Miss Ney' and to the stimulating discussions of politics, art and philosophy that took place there. Following her death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory."
The Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center (ESB-MACC), named for worker in the Austin Arts community, founding member of the Tejano Democrats, and wife of former State Senator Gonzalo Barrientos Jr., was constructed in 2007 "to celebrate and preserve Mexican-American heritage in the city of Austin and to promote the cultural arts of Mexican Americans and other Latino cultures."
"Since 1956, the French Legation Museum has interpreted and preserved the oldest building in Austin (c 1841), an early diplomatic residence. The French Legation Museum began in 1841 as a private home built for the French chargé d’affaires, Alphonse Dubois. The property has had two other significant owners including Dr. Joseph Robertson, and the State of Texas who appointed the Daughters of the Republic of Texas the custodians of the property."
"Housed in a 36,000 square-foot facility that includes four galleries, a conference room, classroom, darkroom, dance studio, 134-seat theatre, and archival space, the George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center is dedicated to the collection, preservation, research and exhibition of African-American historical and cultural material. The museum offers gallery exhibits, programs, classes, spring break and summer camps, theatre productions, and a genealogy center. The galleries feature a core exhibit on Juneteenth and a permanent exhibit on Austin African-American families."
Administered by the National Archives and Records Administration, the site includes primary documents, speeches, photographs, oral histories, and some of Lyndon Baines Johnson's fascinating telephone conversations.
"The O. Henry Museum offers a look into the life of William Sidney Porter in the Austin years leading up to his controversial prison term, after which he assumed the pen name O. Henry and set about transforming himself into the famed short story writer."
The 1869 home of Joseph and Susanna Dickinson Hannig was saved and deeded to the City of Austin in 2003. Joseph Hannig built this home in 1869 for his new wife, Susanna Dickinson. She survived the Battle of the Alamo and carried the news of its fall to Sam Houston, which ultimately led to Houston's defeat of Santa Anna at the Battle of San Jacinto and won independence for the Republic of Texas. For this deed, Susanna Dickinson became known as the 'Messenger of the Alamo.' Her home was saved, restored and opened as a museum on March 2, 2010, Texas Independence Day."
"The State Preservation Board preserves and maintains the Texas Capitol, the Capitol Extension, the 1857 General Land Office Building that now houses the Capitol Visitors Center, other designated buildings, their contents and their grounds; provides facilities and grounds keeping services for the Texas Governor's Mansion; and operates the Bullock Texas State History Museum and the Texas State Cemetery. The SPB provides educational programs related to Texas history, government and culture to benefit the citizens of Texas and visitors to the state."
"This premier historic home has served as the official residence of Texas governors and their families since 1856. It is the fourth oldest continuously occupied governor’s residence in the country and the oldest governor’s mansion west of the Mississippi River. "
"In 1986, the Adjutant General’s Department of Texas undertook to establish a museum and archival collection to tell the story of the Texas Military Forces. The following year the United States Army’s Center for Miitary History sanctioned the creation of a military holding and museum to be located in Austin, Texas, at Camp Mabry, headquarters of the Texas Military Forces. Under the energetic leadership of Brigadier General John C.L. Scribner, work began to collect historic vehicles, artifacts and archival material for the proposed museum."
The Commission "initiates and conducts programs for the preservation of the county's heritage and its influence on Travis County's political, governmental, and cultural history," and coordinates "the research and placement of state historical markers throughout the county."
"The Williamson Museum is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation established in 1997 to collect, preserve and exhibit items relating to the rich culture and heritage of Williamson County. We offer free and exciting hands-on educational programs to the public through innovative exhibits, tours and outreach including our annual Chisholm Trail Days Event at San Gabriel Park, Pioneer Day at Old Settlers Park, and Archeology Day at Berry Springs Park & Preserve."