Skip to main content
ACC Library Services
Library (How To...) Guides
Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Atlases
Search this Guide
Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Atlases: Dictionaries
Online reference sources. Some are subscription resources from the ACC Library; others are on the public web
General and Specialized
- Dictionary and thesaurus. Also has Spanish - English and medical dictionaries.
American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
- The 5th edition of this excellent dictionary.
Collins English Dictionary
- Also has a thesaurus, translator, and section for those learning English.
Cambridge Dictionary Online
- Basic dictionary for people learning English.
One-stop shopping. Has definitions, synonyms, pronunciations, usage, images illustrating the word, and more.
- A large collection of general and subject-specific dictionaries. Restricted to ACC students.
Medical Terminology, Dictionaries and ICD
- links to several web resources relating to health care and disease.
- A spellchecker plus a handy array of math and language links. Use KitchenMath to convert pints to cups or try Babel Fish to translate Spanish to English.
Foreign Language Dictionaries
Oxford Reference Online - Modern Languages
- available only to ACC students and staff. Bilingual dictionaries for Spanish, French, German, Italian, and more.
- translates words or phrases both to and from English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, and Portuguese. This site will also translate entire web pages if you enter the URL.
Yourdictionary.com Language Dictionaries
- links to over 250 online non-English dictionaries.
: French to English, English to French
Collins French Dictionary
- English to French, French to English. Can pronounce words
Dictionary of Spanish
- Spanish to English, English to Spanish
Collins Spanish Dictionary
- English to Spanish, Spanish to English. Can pronounce words
Collins German Dictionary
- English to German, German to English. Can pronounce words
Pons Online Dictionary
This online dictionary comes very close to providing the lexical and semantic information in a paper dictionary.
ACC Library E-Book Dictionaries
Ultimate Visual Dictionary
Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff
Call Number: PE1629 .U49 2011 ebk
Publication Date: 2011
NTC's Super-Mini English Dictionary
Richard A. Spears
Call Number: PE1628 .N676 2002 ebk
Publication Date: 2002
A Dictionary of Food and Nutrition
David A. Bender
Call Number: TX349 .B4115 2014 ebk
Publication Date: 2014
Canadian Oxford Dictionary
Katherine Barber (Editor)
Call Number: PE3235 .C36 2005 ebk
Publication Date: 2005
Concise Medical Dictionary
Elizabeth A. Martin (Editor)
Call Number: W 13 C744 2015 ebk
Publication Date: 2015
Fowler's Concise Dictionary of Modern English Usage
Jeremy Butterfield (Editor)
Call Number: PE1464 .P63 2015 ebk
Publication Date: 2016
Oxford Dictionary of English
Oxford Dictionaries Staff
Call Number: PE1628 .O8675 2010 ebk
Publication Date: 2010-01-01
May 20, 2020 9:23 AM
Login to LibApps
Report a problem.
Reference Sources/How To Use the Library
ACC Web Site
Library Web Site
Search the Library
• © Library Services, Austin Community College