Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Need More Help?
Need more help finding information on the Internet and interpreting the results? See our study guide.
Bartlett's Familiar Quotations
Do you need a persuasive quotation for a speech or a paper? Bartlett's lets you search by author or subject. It also lets you search three other quotation collections. ACC Libraries also have Bartlett's Familiar Quotations in print format.
Evaluating Web Sites
How can you tell if a web site is trustworthy or not? It's not always easy, but there are things that you can look for that will help you decide.
- Who is the author? Are they qualified to talk about this subject?
- How accurate is the information? You may need to compare what you find with another source to answer this question.
- Who is the audience? This can influence how much detail is included.
- What point of view is being represented? All sites have a bias, but is it obvious?
- How up to date is the site? Does it matter? In the Arts and Humanities it might not be crucial to have last minute information.
Web Sites with general information about Speech
International Communication Association (ICA)
"ICA is an academic association for scholars interested in the study, teaching, and application of all aspects of human and mediated communication... Since 2003, ICA has been officially associated with the United Nations as a non-governmental association.
American Communication Association
"Not-for-profit virtual professional association with actual presence in the world of communication scholars and practitioners"
World known organization that helps individuals with their public speaking skills.
CMU Pronouncing Dictionary
Machine-readable pronunciation dictionary for North American English that contains over 125,000 words and their transcriptions. Maintained by Carnagie Mellon University.
A+ Research and Writing
This site offers a step-by-step process, online resources for research (dictionaries, etc.), links to Online Writing Lab (OWL) handouts, and many other resources for writers of speeches, essays and research papers.