"Fergus Kyle, for whom the town was named, and the family of David Moore donated 200 acres of land for a town site when the International and Great Northern Railroad built a line from Austin to San Antonio. Lots were first sold in October 1880 at an auction held beneath a Live Oak tree at 204 Sledge Street. And thus the rich history and tradition of Kyle began."
November 2, 2010, "voters in two communities approved annexation into the Austin Community College District during elections held Tuesday, November 2, 2010. As a result, the Elgin and Hays school districts became homes to new ACC campuses."
"Located in North Central Hays County, the Hays Consolidated Independent School District reaches more than 221 square miles. The district’s 22 campuses are located throughout northern Hays County, serving nearly 18,000 students."
"The ACC Hays Campus, 1200 Kohlers Crossing, Kyle, TX 78640, is one of 11 campuses in the ACC District service area and is the first college campus to be built in Hays County." Classes began January 13, 2014 though the Grand Opening & Dedication were celebrated January 16, 2014.
"The mission of the Kyle Public Library is to serve as a resource for informational, educational, recreational, and cultural enrichment by providing the community with convenient access to books, periodicals, audiovisual materials, technology, information services, including but not limited to those found on the internet, and educational programs. These services are made available to patrons of all ages and backgrounds."
"The Kyle Public Library now has regular and mini iPads available for patron use. iPads are preset with reference and learning apps, fun activities, and internet for all ages to enjoy."
The university is about 13 miles from the Hays Campus of Austin Community College. The two institutions are partnering for a co-enrollment program, the Pathway Program, which will allow students to take courses at ACC and Texas State simultaneously
"Since its establishment in 1953, the Hays County Historical Commission has erected markers at important sites across the county, inventoried every cemetery in the county, and conducted a survey of our historic locations. The Commission is active in nominating properties to the National Register of Historic Places, which is our nation's honor roll of significant places in our history."
"Constructed in 1915 under a federal aid program to improve rural delivery of mail on the Austin-San Antonio road, the small concrete arch bridge has the distinction of being the oldest concrete bridge in Hays County."
The log house, built by slave labor, it is made of cedar logs, square notched at the corners, and secured by wooden pegs. This historical landmark is listed in Terry Jordan's book, Texas Log Buildings: A Folk Architecture. NA8470 .J67 Northridge, Rio Grande, and Riverside campus libraries.
"Shortly after Kyle, Texas was founded in 1880, Ms. Porter’s paternal grandmother built a three-room house on Center Street. Following his wife’s death in 1892, Porter’s father and his four children moved into the house where Katherine Anne Porter [one of America's most distinguished writers] was born in 1890, lived until 1902."
"In 2002 the house was designated a National Literary Landmark. In 2006, due to the efforts of Kate Johnson, the house was added to the National Register of Historic Places."
"The mission of the Kyle Area Chamber of Commerce & Visitor’s Bureau is to promote, empower, and be a valuable resource to the business community and chamber members; and to position our community as a tourism location and ideal place to live."